Goldberg Offers Ancient Coins|
January 24, 2013
This article was originally printed in Numismatic News.
>> Subscribe today!
Ira & Larry Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, Inc. will offer The Hunter Collection at auction Feb. 5 during their Ancient & World Coin portion of the Feb. 3-6 Pre-Long Beach Auction in Los Angeles.
The estimated value of the 300-coin collection is $10 million.
The auction will take place at the Ira & Larry Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, Inc. offices in Los Angeles, as well as online. Lot viewing is by appointment at the firm’s offices in Los Angeles.
A fully illustrated catalog is available.
The Hunter collection features carefully selected Greek, Roman and Byzantine coins of exceptional quality and pedigree, all sold without reserve. Ira Goldberg put this collection together nearly three decades ago while at Superior Stamp & Coin, buying the finest coins on the market. Highlights include:
• Syracuse c.400 B.C. Silver dekadrachm signed by Kimon. Obverse: Fast quadriga driven left by female charioteer. Reverse: Head of Arethusa left. Signature K on headband and signed by Kimon on lower dolphin. Jongkees A/8, EF, purchased from Dr. Leo Mildenberg in the early 1990s.
• Barcids of Spain of Hamilcar c. 237-227 B.C. Obverse: Bearded head of Hamilcar (possibly Hannibal). Reverse: Driver goading elephant to right. Gulbenkian 389, Suberb EF. The finest known. Purchased from Ed Waddell in the early 1990s.
• Katane tetradrachm c.405 B.C. Signed by Heracleidas. Obverse: Head of Apollo facing 3/4 to left with artist’s signature in right field. Reverse: Fast Qudriga driven left with Nike above. Ex Lanz 24, 1983, Lot 83, EF
• Egypt Ptolemy IV c.202-200 B.C. Gold octodrachm. Issued at Sidon. From the early reign of Ptolemy V. Obverse: Diademed and draped bust of Ptolemy IV facing right. Reverse: Eagle standing 3/4 right on thunderbolt. Ex NFA 25, Nov. 29, 1990, Lot 285. Superb Mint State. One of the most spectacular Greek gold coins.
For further information, contact the firm by phone at (310) 551-2646 or (800) 978-2646, fax (310) 551-2626, or online www.goldbergcoins.com.
More Coin Collecting Resources:
• Get the 2012 Coin of the Year, and begin your collection of the award winning Mint of Israel Biblical Coins Series all at once for one low price!
• Subscribe to our Coin Price Guide, buy Coin Books & Coin Folders and join the NumisMaster VIP Program
• The Essential Guide to Investing in Precious Metals
Add to: del.icio.us digg
With this article: Email to friend Print
Something to add? Notice an error? Comment on this article.