Stack's Wilson Dollar
May 16, 2008
Two Gold Wilson Dollars in One Year
In my last posting I included an image of the gold Wilson Dollar which sold through Heritage in April and again this week. As a follow-up, I thought I should post images of the other gold Wilson Dollar which sold through Stack's in January, thus providing at one site a nice photographic record of two of the three know gold strikes.
Additionally, here are a few quick details about the Wilson Dollar medals in brief reference form:
* Bronze mintage: 3,700
* Silver mintage: 2,200
* Gold mintage: 5
* designed by Clifford Hewitt
* dies cut by George T. Morgan
* For Manila Mint opeing in 1920
* Mint facility was first and only U.S. branch mint opened and operated outside the United States
* U.S. Mint Chief Engineer Clifford Hewitt supervised the outfitting of the Manila Mint and the striking of the Wilson Medals
* Original Manila Mint building was destroyed during WWII
Something to add? Notice an error? Comment on this blog.
About the Author